Like other sports, Golf Coaching aims to improve performance through all aspects needed to become a better golfer. The fact is, improved swing mechanics is only one area needed to lower scores. Unfortunately, its often the only thing that is addressed. The hope is that a better swing alone will produce lower scores.
Many golf instructors use an out-moded business model that has become a ‘standard’ in the industry. I call it the “Same time next week” program. As the instructor ‘instructs’, he/she might have a definable goal in mind and for 30 - 60 minutes once a week on the range that suffices for instruction. Teachers ‘teach’, which amounts to applying ‘model swing corrections’ to ‘Faults and Fixes’ in the swing. This process of ongoing swing correction can be never ending and can easily become frustrating for the student as they practice alone with no feedback from a coach.
Coaching, on the other hand, involves helping the player learn, to facilitate training, and to measure improvements. A coach builds self confidence and will focus the students attention on what matters most. A Coach helps motivate and makes learning fun and rewarding.
A coach can wear many hats, they can be a trainer, supporter, planner, mentor, advisor, facilitator, and friend. They address all areas that create a complete golfer such as equipment, fitness, rules, strategy, and the mental game.
I recommend Golf Coaching over Golf Lessons for anyone serious about improving...
* A beginner who wants to be a recreational golfer.
* An avid golfer who wants to win his/her Club Championship.
* A corporate business executive who no longer wants to be embarrassed by his/her golf game.
* A junior golfer who wants to play competitive golf or win his/or first golf tournament.
* A competitive college player who wants to become a Professional Golfer.
* A Professional Golfer who wants to win his/her first professional golf tournament.
So, how do you hire a Golf Coach?
Contact a coach and see if they are open to a new client. Ask for a meeting to discuss your goals, schedule, fees, and duration of time you would like to be coached. The coach then recommend a plan that will get you to you're goal.